A transit visa for Australia is a short-term visa issued only to grant you passage through Australia while you are traveling to another country. Not everyone needs a transit visa- this will depend on many factors, including your country of residence.
The most common type of tourist visa for Australia is the subclass 600 visa, which allows you to visit Australia for up to three, six, or 12 months as a tourist.
When Do Need a Transit Visa for Australia?
You will need a transit visa unless you are from one of the countries listed below:
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- San Marino
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom*
- United States
- Vatican City
MORE READ: Tourist Visa Requirements For All Countries
If you are from these countries, you will also need to meet the following requirements:
- You will be traveling to Australia via airplane.
- You have a valid passport or travel document that allows you to enter another country.
- You have travel arrangements to another country within 8 hours of your arrival.
- You will not be leaving the transit zone for any reason, including collecting your baggage otherwise, you will need a visa.
- You hold a Hong Kong Special Administrative Region passport or a British National Overseas passport.
- You are a resident of Taiwan and you were issued a passport by the authorities of Taiwan.
- You are a government official from India with a passport issued by the Republic of India.
- You hold a diplomatic passport.
Required Documents for Australia Transit Visa
If you need to apply for a transit visa 771, then make sure you provide the listed documents:
- Valid Passport.
- National ID card.
- Visa 771 application form.
- One recent photograph.
- Detailed itinerary.
- Evidence of previous visa (maritime crew applicants).
- Confirmed flight ticket to another country.
- Visa for another country (if applicable).
- Proof that you meet the character prerequisites.
- Evidence you signed Australia’s values statement.
- Health Insurance.
- See Crew Transit Documents:
- National ID.
- Proof of employment on your current ship.
- Travel plans to another country.
- Proof that the ship you will be working on is non-military.
- Seafarer’s identification.
- Statement from your shipping agent including:
- Your full name.
- The name of the employee you will be taking over for.
- The company name employing you.
- Your arrival date in Australia.
- The date you will be joining the ship.
- A copy of the request to let new crew members join from the ship’s agent in Australia (if applicable).
- Assistance forms:
- Form 956a
- Form 956
SEE 12 Things You Must Check Before Moving Abroad
Guidelines for Your Australia Tourist Visa Application
You must submit all visa-related paperwork in English. You must have your documents translated by a translator who has received national accreditation from the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters if you are applying while in Australia. As long as the translator provides their full name, address, and contact information, as well as their qualifications, translations from another nation do not necessarily need to be done by an official translator.
You must include a certified copy of the original of each document you submit. Except for police certificates, which must be originals, all documents must be certified by an authorized party.
You must scan the pages of your passport displaying your personal details and the issue and expiry date. If you provide a copy of your National ID cards, both sides must be scanned.
It’s important to note that the visa application process can take some time, so it’s a good idea to apply well in advance of your planned travel dates. Additionally, the Australian government is currently limiting the number of international arrivals due to the COVID-19 pandemic, so it’s important to check the latest travel restrictions and entry requirements before making any travel plans.
Transit Facilities at Australian Airports
Even if you meet all conditions to travel without a visa 771, some of Australia’s airports have limited room for their transit facilities, so you could need a transit visa. Depending on the airport you’ll be flying into, this will be:
- Sydney, Cairns, and Gold Coast. Since these airports don’t operate around the clock, if you are passing through here overnight, you will need a transit visa. While you spend the night somewhere else, you need to have a valid visa.
- If you switch aircraft, you will need a transit visa for overnight flights. However, you may be exempt from the transit visa if the airline sends a notice prior to your arrival, provided you already meet the requirements for traveling without a transit visa (see above).
- Canberra, Sunshine Coast. This airport does not operate around the clock and does not offer amenities for travelers who can enter Australia without a transit visa. Hence, a visa 771 is required for all travelers passing through this area.
- Perth. Here you will find transit lounges that allow you to stay without a transit visa if you enter and depart from the same terminal.
- Darwin. If you need to have your baggage transferred from airplane to airplane, you will need a transit visa since this airport does not provide this service.
How To Get an Australia Transit Visa
You get a transit visa by submitting your application. You must have an account so you can attach the visa application form and the required documents, if you don’t, then open one prior to your trip. Make sure you submit your application at least a month in advance.
Cost of an Australia Transit Visa
How Long Can I Stay With an Australia Transit Visa
The length of stay you are allowed on an Australian tourist visa will depend on the type of visa you hold.
The most common tourist visa for Australia is the subclass 600 visa, which allows for stays of up to three, six, or 12 months, depending on the visa you apply for and are granted. The visa validity period will also depend on the length of stay you are granted.
It’s important to note that your visa will have an expiry date, and you must leave Australia before this date to avoid overstaying your visa. If you wish to stay longer in Australia than your visa allows, you will need to apply for a new visa before your current visa expires.
You can only stay for 72 hours in Australia with a visa 771. If you are a maritime crew member who entered Australia via plane, then you have 5 days to join your new ship. After five days, your transit visa is no longer valid plus you must lodge a new transit visa application each time you enter Australia by plane to join a new crew.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Transit Visa for Australia?
The majority of applications take a little over a month to process. However, some applications may finish processing after two weeks.
Can I Apply for an Australian Transit Visa Online?
Yes, you can apply for a transit visa online through ImmiAccount.
I hope this page answered all your questions.